The Best Way to Move a Piano Without a Moving Company
By Julie DeLong, Oil Capitol Relocation
Employing professional movers in Tulsa and Oklahoma City is most always the recommended option; yet you might be able to move the piano without their support, provided you have the right equipment, and plenty of helpers. In the event you chose to go the DIY route, here are the fundamentals you ought to be aware of:
What to Do Prior to Moving the Piano
Moving a piano demands plenty of prep work. Listed here are some of the main items to take care of before you begin moving one:
- Gather the correct moving supplies and materials. For instance, you must have lots of moving blankets to use to protect the piano during the relocation. You’ll want a dolly sufficient for handling the piano's weight. For a grand piano, you'll additionally need to rent a piano skid board from a local moving company. (Do not be shocked if you wind up shelling out hundreds of dollars to get one!)
- Assemble a team. At least, you should have 4 strong, capable people available to assist you with the move. It is more ideal if you can enlist pals or family members who have experience moving large objects. Make sure to have lots of pizza there for "motivation!"
- Measure the appropriate passages. It’s very important to measure the path through which your piano will be transported prior to the actual move. You don't want to get your piano wedged in an awkward position, and chance damaging it when you make an effort to get it out!
What to Do While Moving the Piano
There you will find some important items you need to remember through the actual move. These include the following:
- Wrap the piano keys, pedals, lid, and body up tightly with protective materials (e.g., bubble wrap, foam packing sheets, blankets, etc.).
- Arrange your moving crew ready to lift the piano. Make certain everyone lifts together, on cue. Another person (or two) needs to be set to slip the dolly underneath the piano.
- After the piano is securely on the dolly, steadily guide it out of your house and into the moving van. Take extra care going through doorways, rounding corners and going down staircases. (If at all possible, utilize a ramp when moving your piano up or down a staircase.)
- When you unload the piano on the moving van, make sure at a minimum one person is in front of the piano, and has control of it during the lift to remove the dolly.
What to Do After Moving the Piano
In the event you had to take apart the piano to move it (for instance, by removing the legs), then ask your moving crew to to assist you to reassemble it once it's been carefully relocated. Wipe the piano down with a soft cloth or feather duster to get rid of all accumulated dust and think about wiping down the outside with a mild solution of soap and water. (It's wise to leave the inside to a professional piano cleaning company.)
Obviously, moving a piano devoid of the aid of a professional moving company in Tulsa and Oklahoma City takes a lot of organization, coordination, and heavy lifting. The suggestions in this post are only the tip of the iceberg!
If you decide that it may be best to leave a move of this degree to professional movers in Tulsa and Oklahoma City, call our team of friendly experts at the Oil Capitol Relocation today to go over the details.
Request a free quote