Tulsa and Oklahoma City Moving Blog - Tips, Tricks, and Insider Info
January 14, 2019

Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Tulsa and Oklahoma City

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either close by or nationwide requires a great deal of coordination along with organization, and quite a few people neglect to gather the proper paperwork beforehand. Below is a brief resource plan for many of the important documents that you will need no matter whether moving local or planning for a long-distance move to Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

Let's be honest, it's not like you need a passport along with a work visa to transfer over the state line, but after you have gathered all your life documents together to cross the border those are about the only things you don't need. And how our brains work, you'd expect to need all of this certification for a cross-country move, but if your move is geographically close by--from Memphis only beyond the river to a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for example, it may come as a shock that you need all those files.

Below are files you're going to more than likely want to keep convenient while moving, and how to get them should they have expired or perhaps you could have lost the originals.

Driver's License

Regardless that driver's licenses won't be acceptable for federal identity much longer, you'll still must have a active one--you should have it in any case, but if it expired a couple weeks or perhaps a few months ago and you thought as you are moving why bother, go make the effort. If you must sign in at the airport, rent an automobile, open a bank account, or do life generally, you must have an up-to-date driver's license to do this. Should you be in a state where you are unable to get your driver's license via the neighborhood Tag Agency same day, inquire about a paper copy of your new license to make use of in front of the hard copy arriving in the mail; this is satisfactory ID for a period of a couple of weeks.


If you're moving for a new job, odds are pretty good that you'll need to prove US citizenship prior to getting started. It is possible to renew it by mail if you satisfy specific requirements--your name has not changed, your previous one was issued no greater than 15 years previously, you were at least sixteen during the time, amongst others--but if not, you should apply for a new one in person. You can ask for an expedited passport if required however expect you'll spend an additional $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You will need a copy for all within your family for your move to Tulsa and Oklahoma City. If you can't put your hands on your original copies and you reside in the area or parish in which they were all distributed, a fast visit to the county offices will take care of it. If you had been born somewhere else, apply for the duplicate through that location. Every place differs, thus consider an online search pertaining to the county records where you were born to determine the exact details to get a certified reproduction of your birth certificate. There is generally a moderate cost involved.

Marriage License

Should you need a copy, adhere to the same procedure you would with the birth certificate. A household Bible or document from the religious organization is not an acceptable legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Each person in your family needs a social security number as well as a card; if you can't put your hands on the cards you'll need to get replacements as quickly as possible. You can begin the job online, and send in the supporting records, or alternatively you could proceed to the closest Social Security Administration office with the files. Copies--even notarized ones--won't be satisfactory. You need to have photo ID as well as proof of citizenship, therefore take an up-to-date driver's license or passport, school, employee, or armed service identification card, or a medical health insurance card.

Vehicle Registration

You'll need to register your motor vehicles with your new community and state, therefore bring your present registration cards as well as evidence of insurance to the nearby DMV as soon as possible right after your move to Tulsa and Oklahoma City. Within a new state you'll receive a new license plate and tag; if your move was intrastate your current license plate and tag are acceptable, but your insurance charges could possibly change.

Health and Shot Records

If you have youngsters, their new schools will require proof of immunization ahead of registration. Having duplicates of the many family medical files helps when you've got initial appointments with new physicians.

Get all of your documents together as swiftly as you can in advance of your move to Tulsa and Oklahoma City and keep them together. Considering that you will need original copies of most things, just put all the things inside a file folder and keep it with you or in a safe and secure spot during the actual move--this is something you don't want to misplace.

If you are ready to move to Tulsa and Oklahoma City, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group assist. Get in touch with us today to schedule your cost-free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote

The Mickelson Family
The Mickelson Family
Best. Move. Ever!
Very pleased with the overall respect and care the men gave to my possessions. Even mailing me very quickly the only thing lost in transit. Would recommend to anyone needing a long distant move.
Read more

Almost there...

Tell us a little more about yourself!
(Contact information is required to submit form.)