Factors that Affect Your Moving Estimate
If you’re moving, you most likely have a lot of concerns—and quite a few costs. The last thing you need are surprises when it comes to your estimated moving costs. That’s why you need to hire an experienced and creditable mover who will assist you to uncoverways to reduce your moving expenses, and who will supply you an correct estimate of what those expenses will be.
How to Find a Great Company for Your Move in Tulsa and Oklahoma City
For starters, you need to know not all moving companies are the same. Some are capable, reliable and trustworthy—others are not. According to Consumer Reports, for example:
“Some moving companies quote lowball prices and then, once the move is underway, hold their customers' property hostage until they pay much more. Others demand substantial deposits and then don't show up, says Katherine Hutt, a spokeswoman for the Better Business Bureau.”
The good news is that you can locate the best company to assist you move by simply doing a little research. You can, for instance, certify their credentials (including their carrier number from the Department of Transportation) and search online ratings and complaints.
You should also check out their website—the best movers are often recipients of prestigious awards—like the Pinnacle Mover Designation Award and the North American Quality Award—and will often post these awards on their site.
How to Understand the Factors of Your Moving Costs in Tulsa and Oklahoma City
Many factors affect the cost of your move. For instance, what you pay will be based partially on components like the total weight of your household goods and the distance to your new home. There are several other factors, however, which will affect the cost of your moving estimate, including the following 6:
- Packing and crating costs: Keep in mind, you’re paying your moving company for their time. Definitely, they’ll require more time if you ask them to pack your possessions. You can save money by packing some or all your belongings yourself. You can cut costs further by taking apart large pieces of furniture rather than having the mover do it for you. Finally, you’ll be billed more for certain kinds of packing and handling. For instance, if high value things like artwork or a grandfather clock need crating, your cost will be higher.
- Poor access to your pick-up or drop-off location in Tulsa and Oklahoma City: If your current or future place of residence is in a location which forbids access for a large truck (for instance, because of a narrow road or a weak bridge), your movers must find secondary mode to get belongings out of your old home or into your new one. For instance, they probably will need to use smaller vehicles to gain access. In this case, you will need to pay the mover a shuttle fee.
- Stairs or long walking distances: The cost of your move will also be more if there are very long stairs (or multiple stairs) which they need to carry your belongings up or down. You might also have to pay a long-carry fee if the span from the moving truck to the entrance of your residence is greater than 50 feet.
- Narrow doors or hallways: If some of your items don’t fit through the door or down narrow hallways, a rigger might be needed to hoist them through a window. In this case, you could be assessed a hoisting fee.
- Storage fees: This is one of the more common reasons for increased costs. If you have to put into storage some or all your possessions at the carrier’s warehouse because your new place to live is not ready to be occupied, you’ll be required to pay an additional storage fee.
- Time of year: Summer is the most busy moving time of the year, which means that moving in the summer will cost more. You can save money if it’s possible to time your move from September to May. You’ll also pay more if you move on a national holiday or on the first or last day of the month (this is because rental agreements typically expire at these times, which means more people move then).
Moving companies don’t get a reputation for honesty, authenticity and candor by mistake—they earn it by helping their clients, giving them guidance and working hard to secure their trust. The most crucial thing you can do to obtain a safe move and lower your costs is to find the kind of moving company which cares about you and your family and will work hard to ensure your complete satisfaction.
To learn more about our residential, office and corporate relocation services, contact us today.