A Comprehensive Guide to Moving
By Julie DeLong, Oil Capitol Relocation
1. Visit your new town. Ahead of choosing to move anywhere, it’s usually a good idea to check out your new community. Of course, you might head to all the points of interest, but don’t solely visit as a vacationer. Drive through local neighborhoods. Notice where grocery stores, filling stations and schools are located. Think about your life and how it might transfer to this new location.
2. Research schools. Whenever you happen to be visiting your new city, figure out the schools that your youngsters will be studying at. Take a look at the surrounding neighborhoods and in addition do some research online to find out how the public schools rank and what private school alternatives are accessible in the community.
3. Produce a moving budget. Let’s face it, moving isn’t cheap. Even DIY choices possess a hefty cost. And for anyone who is moving a good distance, a professional mover in Tulsa and Oklahoma City will unquestionably make the process less difficult. Remember to add some additional for unexpected expenditures, as they frequently seem to occur. If you happen to be moving for a job, consult your employer to determine if any of your moving expenditures will be covered.
4. Find a place to reside. If you have youngsters and have researched what school you would like them to attend, the choices of a area in which to reside have likely been refined some. But, regardless, a real estate agent can certainly assist you through the house shopping process. A competent realtor will show you residences in the choice area and also answer all of the questions regarding the communities.
5. Examine moving companies. Hiring an honest professional mover in Tulsa and Oklahoma City is vital for your move. Perform your research by verifying Google reviews and the BBB rankings. Talk with individuals who have moved recently to discover what moving company they used. Get multiple quotations from different movers to evaluate. Ask questions in case you don’t fully grasp something on the quote and be sure you are comparing apples-to-apples. Keep in mind, if a estimate looks too good to be true, this may be a warning sign.
6. Select a moving date. In the event that you want to move in the midst of the summer, you should get with your moving company in Tulsa and Oklahoma City to verify your selected dates as far ahead of time as possible. Summertime is considered peak season for moving, so schedules fill up swiftly. On the other hand, should you be wanting to move in the winter or early spring, you will likely have your choice of dates and may also wind up expending a little less. You will regularly pay a premium for moving during peak season.
7. Begin collecting your moving supplies. By simply accumulating cartons right now, you could be a little step ahead when it comes time to pack. You can buy boxes from your local moving company or from many big box stores. Don’t overlook several other moving products, for instance tape, bubble wrap, newsprint, box knife, and so forth.
8. Have a plan for packing. In advance of when you actually conduct any packing, develop your plan. It may be beneficial to go through your things beforehand and determine what you are planning to take with you and what you don’t want anymore. Have a garage sale or donate to a charity the things you don’t need to move. After that, you could start packing non-essential items including basement and attic items and also out-of-season items. After that, move on to items that you won’t need for the subsequent few weeks. Wait until the days before moving day to pack items which you make use of regularly. Be sure and ask your moving company if there are items that they can’t haul in the moving van, for instance live flowers, flammable items and perishable food. You will have to make alternate plans for these things.
9. Pack your suitcases, too. When you will be on the road for several days in route to your new residence, you will want attire and toiletries for the adventure. Make certain and set apart precisely what you will want on the way to ensure that those things don’t inadvertently get packed up and loaded on the moving van.
10. Generate travel arrangements. In case you will be driving to your new house, plan your course and book your hotel rooms in advance. Likewise, if you're flying, decide on your airline and get your seats. Bear in mind that you could need to stay in a hotel for a couple of days in your new city if your belongings won’t be delivered straight away.
11. Transfer memberships and files. When you have a fitness center or golf club membership, take a look at transferring them to your new community. Also, request your child’s school to send their records to the new school as well as for your health professionals and dental office.
12. Empty your storage unit. You may as well go ahead and go through your storage unit, too, and get rid of anything that you don’t need. Above that, make certain and notify the administration of the unit that you are moving your things out and make contact with them for a second time when you have vacated the space.
13. Forward your mail. These days, it is simple to forward your postal mail to your new address. Simply go on to the USPS webpage and complete the mandatory information. This is usually a very straightforward step, but it’s frequently overlooked, so we wanted to mention it.
14. Confirm your moving date with your mover. You are likely to hear from your moving company in Tulsa and Oklahoma City a couple of days or a week prior to your move date, but in case you haven’t, at this point is a good time to go ahead and reach out to them and make certain that your move dates still match up with what they've got on their calendar for you. Last minute schedule changes are never fun for anybody, hence it’s always beneficial for you to verify all of the particulars to make certain everyone is on the same page.
15. Cut-off and set-up your utilities. The timing of this action is essential as you don’t wish to be moving out of your old house in the dark or moving into your new residence with no heat or air conditioning. Contact your existing as well as future energy companies and understand what you must do so that you can guarantee a smooth changeover.
16. Coordinate a move-out cleaning. Once you've got everything moved out of your old residence, you will likely be too drained to want to clean. There are cleaning services which concentrate on empty homes so take into consideration hiring the cleaning done.
17. Let other people know your new address. This action could be done after you get to your new residence, also. Nevertheless you will want your friends and family to have your new address. Think about mailing out a change of address card or at least an e-mail to let everyone know that you have moved.
18. Exchange contact information with your moving van driver. When all things have been loaded up and the moving van is ready to head out, make certain and ask the driver for the ETA to your new residence and for his cell phone number. Also provide him your phone number. You need a method to keep in contact while everybody is on the move.
19. Schedule a handyman. Make sure and find a trustworthy handyman once you move to assist with projects like replacing light fixtures, doing basic repairs or hanging items on the walls.
20. Register to vote and acquire a new driver’s license. Updating your voter registration swiftly once you move is wise so that you can vote in any approaching elections. Your community library or post office normally can supply more details of how to register. Furthermore, attaining a new license is vital once you have moved to a new state. Check your local DMV internet site to make sure that you have all of the necessary documentation before you decide to wait in line, because requirements vary from state to state.
Is it time to move?
Oil Capitol Relocation in Tulsa and Oklahoma City would love to assist. Just get in touch now to get started with your zero cost in-home or video estimate.
Request a free quote