Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Tulsa

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either close by or across the country requires a large amount of coordination as well as organization, and quite a few people neglect to locate the proper documents beforehand. The following is a short reference plan on the various significant files that you'll need regardless of whether moving local or setting up a long-distance move to Tulsa.

Let's face it, it's not as if you must have a passport and a work visa to move over the state line, although after you've assembled your entire life papers together to cross the border those are close to the only things you do not need. And the way our brains function, you would anticipate to need all this certification for a cross-country move, however if your move is geographically local--from Memphis only across the river to a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for instance, it could come as a jolt that you'll require the many docs.

Read on for the papers you'll probably have to keep nearby whenever moving, and approaches to get them should they have expired or perhaps you have misplaced the originals.

Driver's License

Even though driver's licenses will not be acceptable for federal recognition much longer, you still need a up-to-date one--you should have it in any case, however if it expired a few weeks or a long time in the past and you thought since you are moving why make an effort, go take the time. When you have to sign in at the airport, reserve a car, open up a bank account, or execute life on the whole, you must have a current license to accomplish this. If you are in a state in which you can't obtain a license via the neighborhood Tag Agency same day, inquire about a paper copy of your new driver's license to utilize in front of the printed version arriving in the mail; this is satisfactory ID for a period of around three weeks.


If you're moving for a new position, the probability is decent that you will have to prove US citizenship prior to getting started. You can renew it by mail if you fulfill certain criteria--your name has not changed, your last one has been issued no greater than fifteen years previously, you were a minimum of 16 during the time, among others--but if not, you'll have to make application for a new one in person. You can request an expedited passport if needed but be ready to spend an additional $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You'll need a copy for all in your family for your move to Tulsa. If you're unable to put your hands upon them and you live in the county or parish in which they were all issued, a quick journey to the county offices will take care of it. If perhaps you were born anywhere else, obtain the duplicate from that place. Every place is different, so try an internet investigation for the county records the place you were born to obtain the specific instructions to obtain a certified duplicate of your certificate of a birth. There is commonly a nominal fee involved.

Marriage License

Should you need a duplicate, adhere to the exact same technique you would with the birth certificate. A family Bible or even certificate from the place of worship will not be a suitable legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Each person in your family needs a social security number and a card; if you're unable to put your hands on them you will need to obtain replacements without delay. You can begin the job online, and also mail in the supporting records, or alternatively you can actually proceed to the local Social Security Administration office with the documents. Copies--even notarized ones--are not adequate. You will need photo ID and evidence of citizenship, so bring an up-to-date driver's license or passport, school, employee, or military identification card, or a medical health insurance card.

Automobile Registration

You'll have to register your automobiles with your new community and state, so take the current registration cards and verification of insurance coverage to the area motor vehicles office as quickly as possible right after your move to Tulsa. Within a different state you will get a different license plate and tag; if your move was intrastate your license plate and tag are acceptable, but your insurance charges might change.

Medical and Shot Reports

If you have young ones, their new schools will have to have evidence of immunization prior to registration. Having replications of the many family healthcare documents helps when you have initial visits with new physicians.

Assemble your documents together as quickly as you can before your move to Tulsa and keep them together. Since you will need original documents of the majority of things, just place all the things inside a file folder and keep it along with you or in a secure location during the actual move--this is one thing you don't want to lose.

If you are ready to move to Tulsa, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group assist. Get in touch with us today to schedule your cost-free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote